When it comes to text messaging, a little goes a long way. People generally have short attention spans and are checking their mobile phones while on the go. At an increasing rate, it’s essential to get your message across in a succinct yet impactful way.
Sending business SMS and MMS from a text messaging service is a cost-effective way to broadcast to hundreds of customers at once. You can stretch your budget, as each text message may only cost a few cents (otherwise known as an SMS credit).
So how many characters can you fit in a single text message? What counts as a long message or a multi-part message? What about special characters, like Unicode and emojis? We’ll answer all of these questions and more, so keep reading or jump to our infographic.
How long is a standard text message?
The length of a text message without any bells or whistles is 160 characters, including spaces. An SMS message can certainly exceed 160 characters; it will, however, become a ‘multi-part message’.
Did you know: By standard message, we refer to content that only contains the Global System for Mobile (GSM) character set. GSM includes Latin letters A to Z, numbers 0 to 9, and a few special characters (such as exclamation marks).
As soon as your text becomes a multi-part message, the character limit changes to 153 characters per part. More data is required to create a sequence of messages, so the count decreases from 160 to 153. Those seven characters get used for invisible headers and footers. You will get charged per part; in other words, one part is one SMS credit.
Regardless of how many parts you send, your recipients will only receive one, albeit long, message. Don’t get concerned about cluttering your contact’s inbox or sending multiple notifications. It is wise, however, to consider how engaging you are being. There is a delicate balance between being concise and informative.
Here is a guideline to follow when composing a standard message or multi-part message:
- 1 – 160 characters = 1 SMS credit
- 161 – 306 characters = 2 SMS credits
- 307 – 459 characters = 3 SMS credits
- And so on…
The text message body limit is 5000 characters, which creates 33 ‘parts’ in a standard GSM message. In other words, 5000 characters / 153 characters = 33 SMS credits.
Top tip: You won’t need to memorize this, as our online portal will automatically display the number of characters and SMS credits you use as you type.
Ready to go?
Get a free MessageMedia trial and start exploring messaging features.
What length can an SMS with Unicode be?
If a message contains any characters that are not standard GSM, its maximum character length will become 70 characters long. Because Unicode is more complex than the traditional Latin alphabet, each character requires more data to be stored.
Did you know: Unicode makes encoding characters excluded from the non-GSM alphabet possible across most technologies, including smartphones. Encoded characters are made up of technical symbols like mathematical signs, brackets, dashes, arrows, and non-Latin letters such as Chinese or Thai.
Like standard messages, once you go beyond 70 characters, they become segmented into multiple parts. Each part can then be up to 67 characters long, as it takes up extra data to create a sequence of messages. Note that as soon as one technical symbol gets added to your message content, it will get deemed a Unicode text message.
Here is a guideline to follow when composing a single or multi-part Unicode (non-GSM) message:
- 1 – 70 characters = 1 SMS credit
- 71 – 134 characters = 2 SMS credits
- 135 – 201 characters = 3 SMS credits
- And so on…
The maximum number of characters in a Unicode text message is 5000 characters, which is 75 message parts. In other words, 5000 characters / 67 characters = 75 SMS credits.
Can you send emojis in business messages?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words… when it comes to SMS, an emoji is worth two Unicode characters. That’s right, smiley faces will turn your message into a Unicode SMS and take up two characters. Therefore, you may want to keep these short and sweet.
The use of emojis in business communication gives you a little more personality and allows you to show off your fun side. We recommend playing around and testing this to see if emojis work for your audience and use case.
Top tip: Reporting and analytics can let you know how your recipients are engaging with your text messages. Download tailored reports from your dashboard and gather insights to finesse future campaigns.
Want to get started?
Get a free MessageMedia trial and start exploring the messaging inbox.
How many SMS credits will you need for your message?
SMS credits are the currency of text messaging. Use this flowchart to figure out how many credits you’ll need for your message.
Meet SMS-iT™. The Cheapest Bulk Text Message Marketing Platform on the internet powered by A.I., a Decentralized Gateway, and a Database of 1billion+ segmented mobile #'s of potential customers, that can be used in building TCPA compliant consent lists for mobile marketing campaigns.
Increase your traffic, subscribers, and sales; Automate your workflow and access fresh opt-in leads, with our 2-Way omnichannel messaging & marketing platform. Built for businesses, Internet of Things (IoT), Metaverse & the Blockchain. CHANNELS: SMS, RCS, MMS, voice, email, chat and fax
SMS-iT™ allows you to intelligently search mobile records, build TCPA compliant consent lists for mobile marketing campaigns, target potential customers and more with A.I. & Automation.
- - Send SMS/MMS/RCS/Fax/EmailVoice messages across the world at the cheapest rate online
- - Drive more sales with highly targeted promotions
- - Provide better customer service with 2-way messaging
- - Keep customers engaged with automated texts
- - Save time and integrate with your existing marketing software
- - Learn more about customers with Data Collection
- - Gather useful feedback with polls and surveys
- - Much, much more!
It is undisputedly the best and #1 AI-powered omnichannel messaging and marketing platform, from all other SMS messaging platforms, SMS marketing platforms, text marketing platforms, text marketing companies, or SMS marketing software on the planet!
Over 1 000 000 000 segmented records to target: Target your potential customers using their exact Geographic locations, and other segmented characteristics, like profile data, demographics, interests, industry, behavior, location, etc. Communicate without limits!
Why We Are #1
1) Bulk and 2-Way Omnichannel Messaging & Marketing - SMS, MMS, RCS, Email, Voice, Fax and Chat Apps.
2) Cheapest and lowest rates in the industry.
3) SMPP - Use your SMPP accounts from Twilio, SignalWire, Plivo, and more, with our Decentralized Version.
4) Use your Sim Card with our Decentralized Version.
5) 51+ smart features that can be used without limits - unlimited.
6) Database of 1billion + records, which you can use in building your TCPA compliant list for sms marketing campaigns. Useful for those without a mailing list.
7) Smart programmable API built for businesses, IoT, Blockchain and the Metaverse.
8) Decentralized Gateway for flexibility and perfect control of your campaigns.
9) 10DLC registration directly within the platform, to stay compliant with Campaign Registry and TCPA regulations.
10) Zapier Integration to connect to 4000+ apps.
11) Artificial Intelligence for Analytics and Statistics.
12) Automation to completely automate your entire workflow.
13) Tons of native integrations with the top productivity apps. More added continuously.
14) More control and freedom over what kind of messages you send with the decentralized version.
15) Send Unlimited SMS and MMS messages with the decentralized version, for just $199/month. Message cost is $0/message.
16) Use our API and Smart Tools directly in the Metaverse to sell your products, services and build your subscribers list.
17) Seamless integration for the Blockchain and Internet of Things, via our programmable API and Smart GUI.
18) Worldwide coverage.
19) Guaranteed delivery - Get your messages delivered, GUARANTEED, with statistics to track delivery.
Get Started For FREE Now - REGISTER and Receive 100 FREE SMS/MMS/Voice Credits Today!
Want to view our 51+ smart features, so that you know why SMS-iT is the best and #1 from all SMS messaging platforms, SMS marketing platforms, text marketing platforms, text marketing companies, or SMS marketing software on the planet? Then CLICK HERE - https://www.smsit.ai/features.html
Reference: Message Media